© Celtica Mapping 2011 - 2016

Sunset Banner T's & C's

If you work for a council or college or major landowner, such as Natural Resources Wales, they will almost certainly have an O.S. Licence which will give them access to such maps for planning and other purposes.  We may have to sign a sub-contractors licence before they can release the data or map to us.

Mapping FAQ’s

1.  How do I get an O.S. 1:2500 map?

2.  How long will it take to get a map done?

This depends on our current workload, and the size of the project.  If we are mapping a cluster of schools we will usually survey two primary or one secondary school in a day.  We then need time to draw them up before returning to check them.  The checking will typically take from under an hour to maybe three hours.  A group of maps can usually be finished within 4 weeks, and a single map turned around within a fortnight.

3.  How much does it cost?

It depends on the size and complexity of the site and the travel and possibly accommodation costs involved.  If we have to travel a considerable distance it makes financial sense to map a cluster of schools or other projects at the same time to cut our overheads, and so the final costs. We charge return journey travel at the HMRC approved mileage rates (April 2013: 45p. per mile for a single person, 50p. per mile if two plus travel together).  The cost of mapping (excluding travel etc) a primary school will be from £150 - £250, and a typical secondary school from £350 - £450.  For secondary schools we normally provide two maps, one of the whole site, and another at larger scale of a smaller area near the gym or sports hall for use when teaching skills and techniques, and so not wanting the youngsters to disappear for long.

4. How can I update my site map?

The DIY method is to alter a paper copy by sticking pieces of the right colour cut from another map on to your master map, and then photocopying or scanning this to produce a new master map.  Portacabins that arrive or dissapear can, for example be dealt with in this way. The better way is to contact us or another orienteering mapper.  Mappers almost all use OCAD, and will want the OCAD file (we supply this when you first get the map, but not all mappers do) which they will then be able to update.  In the case of major changes a site visit may be needed, but for less significant alterations if you circle the area that need changing, sketch the changes and provide a written description with dimensions (e.g. “New Portacabin, 10m x 5m, parallel with the side of the building and 4.3m from it.  Back end level with building corner.  Set of 3 steps (1m. Wide 1.5 long) to central entrance on East side”) we can make the changes and e-mail the revised map back to you.  We then only charge for our time, by the hour.

5.  Can I draw my own map?

Yes, you can.  But to get a professional appearance you will need to use appropriate software.  OCAD is the preferred program for most professional orienteering mappers, but is prohibitively expensive for small one off projects.   The starter version of the latest version, OCAD 11, which would be enough for a school map, is currently €150, and will take quite a lot of learning, although tutorials are available.  OCAD 6 is available for free download, but it is way outdated, not at all user friendly, and the “Help” facility is less than helpful!    Another program sometimes used by professionals is Adobe Illustrator, and there is a chance you may be able to access a copy of this in school or college.  A recent free alternative is Inkscape with O-scape extensions.  I have not used this as I use OCAD, but potentially it looks like a useful tool for smaller mapping projects.  Click here to discover more.